|Safety for Seniors|
Personal Safety Workshops for the Elderly
In recent years we have been witness to an ever-increasing rise in violence against the elderly. In response to a clear need, “El Halev “ has created a unique workshop for the elderly, tailor-made to their physical, mental and emotional requirements. The main goal of these workshops is to reinstate feelings of resourcefulness along with the freedom to choose, taking into account cognitive and physical changes.
Our basic assumption is that one’s ability to defend oneself stems from an awareness of one’s surroundings, an ability to demonstrate a strong presence and recognition of one’s capabilities. It is important for the elderly to learn personal safety and self-defense skills, not as reinforcement of the mistaken perception that they are weak and helpless, but because this is the way to strengthen and prepare themselves in the best possible way for any future occurrences.
The workshop runs for five one-hour sessions.
1. Awareness of one’s surroundings and psychology of attacker-attacked: how to predict and identify dangerous/assault situations, precautionary measures, what a potential attacker looks like, what is suspicious behavior.
2. The importance of assertiveness and self-confidence: how to project strength and deter by setting clear boundaries.
3. Verbal confrontation – correct use of voice, what to say and how to say it - and no less important – what not to say in order to avoid escalating the situation.
4. Work on effectiveness of the senses and improving memory and identification skills.
5. Falling without fear, work on balance.
6. Basic self-defense skills tailored for this age group and use of available objects such as a walking stick, walker; how to turn physical handicap into an advantage.
7. Statistics on attacks on the elderly.
8. Creating a support framework for times of distress, including emergency numbers, professionals (police, social worker, electrician etc…)
“El Halev’s” self-defense workshops for the elderly have met with much success at our various branches, in old-age homes, in assisted living centers and in elderly day centers throughout the country. “El Halev’s” instructors, all professionals of the highest caliber, have undergone special training to prepare them for work with this specific age group and all their accompanying special needs.